Steps to Complete a Study
PSG2 - Desktop
This outlines the steps to complete a PSG2 study. The Hardware and Software Technical Manuals should be used as references.
- Identify System Components and Review Instructions for Use: Review the hardware and software manuals to familiarize yourself with the device and supplies that were provided.
- Charge the Device: Remove the Sleep Profiler from the case and plug one end of the USB cable into a computer and the other end into the device’s microUSB port to charge. Note: the microUSB port must be used for all data transfers.
- Software Installation: Download the software, unzip the file, and place the unzipped folder onto your desktop.
- Device Manager: Open the software folder saved on your desktop. Double click on the file called GUI.exe. Once the software opens, click the Device Manager menu option.
- Format the Device: From the Device Manager window click the Format Device button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the formatting process. The device will need to be powered off while still plugged in to complete the device formatting.
- Set Optional Channel: From the Device Manager window, if you wish to use an optional channel (i.e. EMG or ECG), click the Device Setup button and select the desired channel. Attach the EMG/ECG cable to the device and attach the sensors onto the cable. Make sure to print a copy of the EMG or ECG Patient Instructions for the patient.
- Assign Patient Information to the Device: From the Device Manager window click the Edit Study Info button and enter patient information on the Patient tab. Enter the name of the ordering physician onto the Physician tab. When done, click the Transfer to Device button.
- Prepare Patient Documents: Gather the following documents, depending on the device configuration, and place with the device into the black case:
- PSG2 Patient Instructions
- Questionnaire (Optional)
- Sleep Diary (Optional)
- Dispense Device to Patient: Review the patient video and patient instructions with the patient. The video is available at https://cportal.b-alert.com/sleep-profiler/videohelp, when the page opens, click the Patient Instructions Video.
- Receive Device from Patient after Study: When the device is returned, remove and discard the disposable components, then clean the device using the cleaning instructions in the Hardware manual.
- Transfer Study Data from the Device: Open the software and plug the device into the computer. Open the Device Manager. Click the Transfer Study button. Wait for the study to transfer. Once transfer is complete, a message will appear saying “Study successfully transferred!”
- Format the Device: Click the Format Device button. Follow on screen instructions to push the on/off button on the device while leaving device plugged into computer.
- Charge the Device and Apply Disposables for the Next Patient: Leave device plugged in (to either computer or wall adapter) until voice message indicates device is fully charged. Once fully charged, unplug device. Replace the batteries in the Nonin Wrist Oximeter. Attach new disposable components and pack everything back into the black case.
- Process the Study Data: In the software, process the raw data by selecting File > Process Raw Data. Use the browse button to browse to the directory found in the Device Manager > User Settings > Download File Location. Inside the directory, locate a folder called Records. The Records folder will contain a subfolder for each study that was transferred. Open the desired study folder, select the .edf file and click Open. Processing will begin and usually takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the study and the speed and memory of your computer.
- View and Edit the Study: Once processing is complete, the study opens in the study editor. It can now be edited as necessary. In addition to the Sleep Profiler Software Manual, the Assessment of Sleep Staging and Sleep Disordered Breathing with PSG2 video should be used as a reference.
- Enter Questionnaire and Sleep Diary Information: Select Questionnaire > Enter Questionnaire. Enter Questionnaire responses and click Analyze Risk to save the responses. Click Exit after analyzing the risk to return to the Study Editor. Select Sleep Diary > Enter Sleep Diary. Enter Sleep Diary responses and click Save to save the responses.
- View Reports: To generate a report, select Report > Generate Report. To view the report, select Report > View Report.
- Generate a Final Report: Once all edits are complete, generate a final report with physician signature by selecting Report > Generate Final Report. To view the report, select Report > View Report.